extract is from the forward "The Man from Cape Clear" published by Mercier
Press 1975 ISBN No 1 85635014 2 author Conchúr Ó Siocháin who lived on
Cape Clear all his life as a farmer and a fisherman, he died in 1941.
significant is the fact that Cape Clear Island is the last surviving
stronghold of the Erainn whose language and culture- though
Celtic-were pre-Godelic, and who gave the Irish language a substratum of
homely words borrowed by the Gaeil from the Iarnbelre or
language of the Erainn- the dominant people in the south of the
country before it was overrun by the Goidel (mod. Gaeil).
The title Corcu loigde (al. Corca Laidhe), which was
the name of the sept whose chiefs were the O`Driscolls (< Ò Drisceoil,
older Ua Eidirsceoil), the foremost representatives of the
Erainn, still survives in the words Collymore and Collybeg the names
of two districts bordering the River Llen.
If one needed one
last proof of the immemorial antiquity of the historical roots which
should make Cape Clear as exciting to the spirit as its jagged
"Viking-faced" cliffs are thrilling to the sight, we have to recall the
astonishing survival of such pre-Christian first names as Eireamháinand
and Maccon among the O`Driscolls of the island down to our own time.
from Sketches in Carbery by Daniel Donovan written in 1876.
natives of Cape Clear are distinct in a great measure from the inhabitants
of the mainland; they have remained from time immemorial as a separate
colony, always intermarrying amongst themselves; so that we must regard
them as amongst the most typical specimens at the present day of the old
Milesian race. The name of nearly all the islanders is O`Driscoll or
Cadogan, the later being only a sobriquet for the former. Baltimore and
Cape were originally the stronghold of this family, the principal
Chieftain, O`Driscoll Mór, residing in Baltimore. There can be no doubt
that they were the aboriginal race residing along the sea-coast of
Carbery. The isolated position of the island and it's difficulty of
approach, have kept the population in a comparatively antique state and
distinct condition during the lapse of centuries, so far as nationality
the year 1710 Cape was a sort of established monarchy, and an O`Driscoll -
the head of the clan- was always styled, "King of the Island"
They had a code of laws handed down from father to son. The majority have
now become obsolete, not only in practice, but even in name. The general
punishment was by fine, unless some grave offence was committed, and then
the delinquent was banished forever to the mainland, which was looked upon
as a sentence worse than death.
climate is remarkably healthy, not more so in the world, as evidenced by
the longevity of the inhabitants, their stalwart frames, healthy
appearance, trivial mortality, and freedom from disease. They are a quiet,
peaceful and industrious people, and possess greater gravity of manner,
more ponderous bodies, and are built in a larger mould than the more
vivacious and excitable race residing on the mainland.
Article from Marine
Presentation to Master
and Crew of Naomh Ciarán II Ferry
Saturday 3rd of May was a special day for Concubar Ó Drisceoil and the
crew of the Naomh Ciarán II when 28 years of dedicated service to the
island community and local businesses was recognised by special
presentations. Concubar received a portrait of himself in his wheel house
approaching Oileán Cléire specially commissioned from well known Heir
Island Artist Christine Williams. Each member of the permanent crew,
Fachtna, Seán and Ted received an engraved ships bell.
occasion was a buffet dedicated to the wider Ó Drisceoil or 'Lowel' family
of whom Concubar is the best known member to visitors to Oileán Cléire who
had gathered on the island to make a special program for Radio na
Gaeltachta. This was broadcast on Friday 9 May. The event was organised by
the Comharchumann and supported by Skinners Boatyard, Sherkin Ferry
Operator, Vincent O'Driscoll, Fields Supermarket in Skibbereen and Bushes
Bar of Baltimore.
CAPE CLEAR ISLAND
extracted from Lewis's Topographical Directory of Ireland, 1837
CAPE CLEAR ISLAND, a parish in the Eastern division of the barony of West
Carbery, county of Cork and province of Munster, 16 miles (S. by W.) from
Skibbereen; containing 1059 inhabitants. This island is called by the
Irish 'Innish Dharnley' and in ecclesiastical records 'Insula Sancta
Clarae', though at a much greater distance form the mainland, may be
regarded as the principle of a large cluster of islands in the Atlantic
Ocean, lying off the coast of Carbery, and situated between Dundedy Head
and Brow Head, which latter was the 'Notium' of Ptolemy. It is separated
from the mainland by the sound of Gaskenane, in which is always a strong
tide, and in high winds a very heavy sea; and having, consequently, less
intercourse with it than the islands nearer the coast, the native
inhabitants have retained more of their original manners, language and
The island which is now the property of Sir William Wrixon Becher, Bart.,
is three miles in length and one and a half in breadth, and comprehends 17 townlands comprising 1400 acres, of which 649 are subdivided into 137
small farms of about 5 acres each, and about 200 acres are arable and the
remainder rough pasture land. The soil is shallow and would be
unproductive, but for a careful system of cultivation, entirely performed
by the women, and wholly with the spade. The chief crops are oats and
potatoes; the quantities raised in some seasons are inadequate to the
supply of the inhabitants: the manure is sand and seaweed, which the women
collect upon the strand, and carry on their backs up the steep and
dangerous cliffs that surround the island, which is accessible only by two
small harbours by which it is nearly intersected from north to south. The
chief supply of fuel is brought from the mainland, as the island itself
affords none, except what is made of a black mud found near the western
lake, and bake during the summer; the inhabitants suffer extreme
privations in winter from the scarcity of fuel. Flax is grown in some
parts and spun into yarn, and coarse woollen clothes are manufactured for
domestic use which, instead if being thickened by mills are put into pools
of water and tamped by the younger and more active females. All the more
elevated parts of the island are of the schistus formation, but in several
parts, near the level of the sea, good freestone is found in abundance.
The scenery is extremely wild and romantic, particularly on the south side
of the island, where it presents to the Atlantic a steep and inaccessible
cliff. At the south west point of the island, overhanging the sea and
accessible only by a narrow and dangerous pathway, not more than three
feet in breadth are the ruins of Dunanore castle or the 'Golden Fort',
which, from its distance from all the landing places would appear to have
been built more for the purposes of a safe retreat in case of invasion
than for defence of the shores: the view from the battlements is very
extensive, and embraces a great variety of objects of a bold and imposing
character. In the south western part are three fresh water lakes, one
called Lough Erral, the water of which has a saponaceous and powerfully
detersive quality, cleansing in a short time any vessel that may be thrown
into it; this water which is used for washing and for cleaning flax, has
been analysed by Dr. Rutty and found to contain a portion of natron, to
which he attributes its cleansing properties. There is also a lake near
the western coast, remarkable for the number and size of its eels; and
there are numerous springs of fresh water in several parts.
The men are wholly employed in fishing, for which the island is remarkably
adapted: they leave home every Monday or Tuesday morning during the summer
season, and return on Friday evening or Saturday morning. Their fishing
craft and tackle have been much improved since the establishment of the
late Fishery Board: they now go to sea in hookers or half decked vessels,
to the distance of 20 or 30 leagues. On their return, the fish are given
to the women to cure, and the men generally spend their time in leisure
and recreation till the day of their departure next. The fish, when cured,
is sold to retail merchants who visit the island for that purpose; and
should any remain unsold, it is sent to the Cork market. The men are
expert and resolute seamen, and the best pilots on the coast; they are
remarkable for discerning land in snowy or foggy weather, possess an
uncommon sagacity in discovering the approach of bad weather, and are
exceedingly skilful in the management of their vessels.
The inhabitants seldom leave home unless to sell their fish, or to supply
themselves with necessaries from the mainland. The cattle and sheep are
very small, and there are only four horses on the island. The wool is
exceedingly fine, which is attributable to the pasturage, as sheep brought
in from the mainland produce in a short time a fleece of excellent
quality. A good harbour has been formed, and a neat pier constructed on
the south side of the island at the joint expense of Sir W. W. Becher,
Bart., and the late Fishery Board.
Cape Clear is well known to mariners as a conspicuous landmark. On the
south side of the island is a lighthouse, erected by the corporation for
improving the port of Dublin; it exhibits a bright revolving light of 21
lamps, of which seven become visible every two minutes; the lantern has an
elevation of 480 feet above the level of the sea, and in clear weather the
light may be seen from all points at a distance of 28 nautical miles.
Adjoining the lighthouse is the signal tower, erected after the attempt of
the French to land at Bantry Bay and purchased by the above corporation.
On the north side of the island, and about a quarter of a mile from the
shore, vessels may anchor in moderate weather. About 4 miles (W.) from
Cape Clear is Fastnet rock, famous for the quantities of Ling, Hake &c.
taken near it.
According to the census of 1831, there were 206 houses occupied by 200
families; the houses are mostly built of stone and thatched; and from the
unsheltered situation of the island, exposed to every raging blast; the
inhabitants are obliged t secure the thatch on the roofs by an interwoven
covering of netting or matting kept down by heavy stones. There is a coast
guard station on the island.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, and is part of the union of
Kilcoe; the rectory is impropriate in Sir. W.W. Becher, Bart. The tithes
amount to £34, of which one half is payable to the vicar. There is neither
church nor glebe house; divine service is occasionally performed in the
tower of the lighthouse. The glebe, on which are the ruiuns of an ancient
church, comprises 25a. 3r. 26p.
In the R.C. divisions this island is the head of a union or district,
comprising also the island of Innissherkin and containing in each a
chapel, of which the chapel here is a small thatched building.
There is a national school, in which are about 40 boys and 20 girls. Not
far from the harbour are the ruins of St. Kiarans' church; on the shore is
an ancient stone with a cross rudely sculptured on it, and at a short
distance a holy well. Till about the year 1710, the islanders had a
resident King chosen by and from amongst themselves, and an ancient code
of laws handed down by tradition, which it was his duty to administer; and
though the king had neither funds for the maintenance of his dignity, nor
officers to enforce his authority, the people generally submitted
voluntarily to these laws, and were always ready to carry his judgements
into execution. The greater number of the laws are become obsolete, but
some still remain and are enforced with rigour. The island was formerly
remarkable for a race of men of extraordinary stature and strength, whose
feats are the subject of many interesting narratives. The O'Driscolls,
many of whom were kings of the island were the most celebrated; they had
large possessions and held five or six castles in different parts of the
country, which were all forfeited in the insurrection of 1601, after which
they emigrated to Spain, leaving behind them their only dependents, whose
posterity have long since mingled with the peasantry.